Monday, June 15, 2009

Quick! They've Set Me Free Long Enough to Snippet!

* With the dawn of this morning, we have officially begun our second full week of "officially summer break", whatever that may mean. Well, I can tell you what it means to me (no more alarms that I never got to hear because my youngest son always had me up 1/2 hour or so before the alarm was supposed to go off anyway) but I have a feeling it means something else entirely to my 7 year old.

* Somewhere near the last day of school for my son, I realized that I had officially been a stay at home mom for an entire year. One complete year has passed since I left my job to pursue the dream of Betty Crocker morphs with Martha Stewart. I did a mental inventory and realized that somehow the time has flown faster than I could have imagined. I looked around and also realized that one year ago I thought that my house would be exponentially more organized and clean by now than it actually is. But then again, I have yet to figure how to successfully morph Martha and Betty with ME. (If only I had the machine used by Jeff Goldblum in The Fly- but alas I don't and must settle for the slightly less scary model called Chas the hectic housewife)

* What is the very best course of action for a greatly disillusioned housewife and mother of two who's just realized that her home may very well never look like a page out of a magazine? If you guessed invite three more children to spend a week with her, you deserve a super prize! The truth is, in order to help entertain Smoochie, I invited my 3 nieces to visit and stay for a week. I actually only HAVE two of them with me (my oldest niece is 14, going into high school, and can't possibly bear to be an hour away from her friends for longer than an hour so I'm including this set of parenthesis just specifically to be the guilt trip I told her I wouldn't give her) and I actually only have them for 3 nights and 3 days. But I can honestly say that although my nieces are great girls, I am already looking forward to a day very soon when I can relax a bit and just look after my own two kiddos. It's exhausting feeling the need for 4 sets of arms and 6 sets of eyes in the back of my head for sure.

* I purchased summer pool passes for myself and the boys today. I couldn't help but feel that it was an extravagant purchase and totally not a need, but then quickly reminded myself that sanity is a delicacy to be savored when on the cusp of an entire summer during which we've vowed not to turn on the air conditioning. And at the very least, the entertainment value alone for both boys is probably worth spending every penny we'll be saving on our air conditioning bill on a pool pass for the three of us.

* I took all 4 kids to the pool today, and somehow we all survived. However, I found that I need to rethink my sunscreen application method, especially when applied to the wriggly body of my little Critter dude. He got a bit burnt, so of course I feel absolutely horrible. I'm currently working on putting together a cauldron-sunscreen-dipper or a rotisserie-sunscreen-automated BBQ sauce brush applier contraption of some sort. I'm still a long way off, but it shall be named "The Don't burn your Critter dipper doohickey." I really do feel horrid.

* It has been precisely 4 hours since I began this post. It is a really good thing I am not in the mood to create a written masterpiece years ahead of it's time today. I'd already be unforgivably behind schedule. Any masterpieces I construct will have to happen Thursday. I simply can't make room in my schedule until then.

* I'm sure Bonehead might appreciate it if I could find time to procure some clean laundry before Thursday, though. He is treating Smoochie to his second annual rafting trip to St. Louis for the boys and they are leaving Thursday. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or excited. Either way, it's a weekend where the (big) boys get to be boys without a stern look or comment from mom regarding stench, loudness, uncleanliness, or any other attack on any sudden and uncontrollable testosterone filled faults they might have.

That's about all I have for today. I do believe I am snippeted out. Now if I could only figure out where spell check is located on ScribeFire, I would be a well rested basket case at the very least.

2 comments:

Traci @ The Bakery said...

Congrats on being a wonderful stay at home mom!!! It isn't all it's cracked up to be, but MORE. Don't you now wonder how you got things done BEFORE? Also, I believe the sunscreen industry is purposefully reducing the effectiveness of their product to make us use it more....I just don't believe it works AT ALL like it used to!!!

for a different kind of girl said...

You know, when I left my job...gah! seven years ago...my plan was to have both boys' baby books up to date within the first month. And keep them - and my house - that way. After six months of the books cluttering up my kitchen counters and remaining untouched, I shoved them in a drawer (also messy) in my bedroom. This particular job of ours? Always a work in progress, but I think our performance reviews are typically better.

Good luck on the air conditioning pact. We've already had ours on a couple different times, and as much as I hate being closed up, I relish being able to sleep in cool comfort!