Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mirror Mirror on the Wall

My older son is 7 years old, and although he tries his best to be as adult as his daddy, he is long past the monkey see, monkey do stage in his development. My younger son, however, is not.

We live in a 1930's Bungalow. It's small. Along with the charm of the original 5 panel doors and glass doorknobs comes the ability to speak to other members of the family from entirely different rooms with nothing more than a raised conversational voice. No yelling required.

On Sunday morning, as I sat in the kitchen feeding Critter his scrambled egg breakfast, I had a conversation with Smoochie, who was in our living room getting his second weekend installment of the mandatory PBS cartoon fix. As I was feeding my baby bites of egg, Smooch would ask me something and I would answer.

Critter began responding to his brother from his high chair as I fed him. It's not unusual for Critter to spout off gibberish clearly directed toward his big brother, but this time was different. After each question posed by Smoochie, Critter would turn his head toward the kitchen wall (the one that separates the kitchen from the living room), tip his chin up a bit in the air, and respond with his preferred method of drawn out gibberish.

On Sunday morning as I was feeding my one year old breakfast, I had a mirror held up in front of me. There is nothing like seeing how goofy your 'every day behavior' truly is. But judging from what I saw, its freeking hysterical when I talk loudly to my kitchen wall.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To funny! I can see you and Critter doing this! LOL

for a different kind of girl said...

Wait until he starts injecting some of your words into his cute baby gibberish!

Meg said...

My kids tend to ignore me even if we're face to face. So methinks you have it good.