Thursday, June 19, 2008

Breakfast Banana Split

Breakfast Banana Split

This is my favorite breakfast –aside from pancakes made at our local pancake house. I discovered this recipe in the Biggest Looser Cookbook and quickly fell in love. At first I thought the combination sounded a little kooky, but I figured I would give it the “one honest try” I’m always telling my son about. Yum. It’s just enough food to keep my tummy happy until lunch without making me feel overfull and drowsy. Well, any drowsier than I normally feel.


The Ensemble:


A Banana. Whatever your preference is. I like them ripe.

2 TBS Peanut Butter. Whatever brand you’d like to use.

Yogurt. The recipe actually calls for a yogurt such as Boston Cream Pie, but I prefer plain vanilla. I haven’t tried any other flavors with this recipe, though.

2 TBS Crunchy Cereal. (I use 1/4 cup and adjust my calorie count accordingly) You can use the cereal of your choosing. Grape Nuts, Granola, whatever. I prefer Kashi Go Lean Crunch.




First you cut the banana length wise in half. Because I don’t have a banana split dish, I have to cut it in half the other way, too, in order to get it to fit in my bowl.





Then you spread on the peanut butter. Sorry. I usually get carried away when it comes to the peanut butter. I tend to get a bit messy.





Next you spread the yogurt over the banana and peanut butter. I like colder yogurt better. Next time I think I might try to put it in the freezer for a little while first to make it even colder. I can’t believe I’ve never thought of that before.





Sprinkle the cereal on top and dig in. It’s pretty simple, filling, fairly healthy, and fools me into thinking I’ve had a sweet treat. Sometimes I even make it for a mid afternoon snack.

Makes 1 serving.

294 calories, 8g protein, 53 g carbohydrates, 7g fat (2 g saturated), 3mg cholesterol, 5g fiber, 241 mg sodium- if following the Biggest Looser measurements.

No comments: