Monday, June 2, 2008

Growing Up Smoochie



It’s almost the end of the school year. Just a few months ago my Smoochie dressed in his school attire, put on his brand new Ninja Turtles back pack, swung his Transformers lunch box, and bee-bopped his way into the kindergarten classroom for the first time. I promised myself I wouldn’t, but I cried a tear or three.

It’s absolutely amazing what a few months can do to a child. Inside of 9 months my little boy has learned to read, can count by twos and fives BACKWARDS, and can now make rude noised with his armpits. This year he’s discovered the joys of hot lunches, library day, a class bunny rabbit named Peppy, and forged new yet often fickle friendships with other children his age.

This year he’s discovered the joys and trials of being a big brother and learned how to nurture and care for another human being. He’s also learned that mom’s heart is big enough for two boys and that having a little brother means that he’s loved and adored that much more by yet another family member as well.

I keep thinking about the end of the school year, which is officially this Thursday at noon, and I get teary eyed. My little boy will be a first grader. Kindergarten wasn’t all that bad to me, because he could still be my little guy in Kindergarten.

First grade is for big kids who start to get embarrassed by their parents and don’t want them around as much. I enjoyed every day Smoochie would kiss and squeeze me at the bus stop, and every smiling wave I received from the bus window. I’m afraid that in three months when he goes back to school he will be bothered by all that “little boy” stuff and it will be no more.

I know I can’t turn back time or keep my children little forever, but I sure am going to miss kindergarten.

2 comments:

無料提供!!情報商材・商品徹底分析!!(初心者向け) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I don't think 1st grade will change him as much as you're fearing. But will say when he ask you for a hug or a kiss or to stop and play a game you should remmeber to do that because you will never get that time back and I have found everything else will be there for you to do at a later time! There are so many times I wish I could go back and grab all that instead of thinking that the roof was going to fall in if my house wasn't clean or dishes weren't done. I don't recall hearing any kid I know say their parents spent to much time with them, but many say their parents were never their for them! Mom's word of advise.